[CAUT] Heating system volume level

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:52:51 MDT 2008

Hi TIm,
	My question would be just exactly what are you dealing with. You talk
about an HVAC unit in the room. My building has centralized fans (some
in basement, some in "attic") that force air through ducts throughout
the building. There are two duct systems, one for relatively hot, one
for relatively cold air, with mixing boxes for individual rooms or
sets of rooms. The thermostats control the mix, using air pressure
(from the constant flow of air) to set baffles to let in more of one
or the other. The baffles are old and get stuck. Sometimes there is
whistling or a sound like a gale if one gets stuck not quite closed.
THen there is fan noise that can get transmitted through the ductwork.
Lots of different things that can cause noise.
	But it sounds like you have the actual fan motor in the room with you
in your system. Or do you? In any case, the first step is to find out
exactly what you have, mechanically.
	It is quite possible to have excellent HVAC sound baffling for
individual areas (like concert halls or recording studios). Our
recording engineer had a studio built 10 years ago, and got amazing
silence. So I know it can be done. Sometimes it is a matter of the
right person asking the right question of the right person. There's
the rub: finding that right person. And it does cost money.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu

PS (other post): Yes, I went to school with Fernando Ortega. He was
nuts about Brahms at the time, as I recall. Is he based in your area?