[CAUT] Loose schimmel lyre

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 2 13:59:20 PST 2009

Todd

I have not had to repair the Schimmel lyre but I have repaired several Asian piano lyres including Kawai and Samick.  In both cases the lyres are constructed with tenons that have saw kerfs and wedges added.  You will need to drill out the wedges the best you can before spreading the parts as the wedges make the tenons larger which results in enlarged mortises and possible (probable) chipping of the polyester finish.  The trick is that the saw kerfs are sometimes cut at an angle and all you can see is the to of the wedge.  The best advice is to use a drill bit that is approximately half the thickness of the wedge to simply relieve some of the spread of the tenon.  You may be able to guage the approximate angle of the saw kerfs by looking at the wedges in the pedal box.  The ones at the top of the lyre are usually sanded flush to make a better fit under the keybed.

Once you have the parts separated simply remove the remaining parts of the wedges with a hand saw.  I like the Japanese pullsaws for this application.  Any dovetail saw will do though.  It is a straightforward repair.  You will probably have about an hour and a half in the shop plus your two service calls involved.  Hope this helps.

Norman Cantrell, Registered Piano Technician