[CAUT] Tunic OnlyPure Software

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 3 09:48:30 PST 2009

Well it must be magic...
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044

Original message
From: "Ron Koval"
Subject: [CAUT] Tunic OnlyPure Software

>From RicB:
"...You can quite easily accomplish a P-12ths tuning ..."

Let's follow the <thin> clues we have so far.

1. Stopper has stated that his tuning is NOT a P-12ths tuning.
2. I've experimented with P-12ths tunings, they don't seem appropriate for many types of pianos.
3.  Kent stated that he's tried the OnlyPure on many types of pianos and the tuning "worked" for all of them.
4. Stopper's definition of "pure" is not the same as the traditional tuner's nomenclature of a partial match.  (something about where the sum of beats of all relevant partial matches of octave and octave-fifth are at a minimum...)

So where does that lead?  Not to a simple Tunelab curve. It's an interesting puzzle.  Especially since Stopper seems to discount inharmonicity - the software seems to work without any measurements from the piano to customize the tuning.

Ron Koval
Concordia University

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.