[CAUT] Tunic OnlyPure Software

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 3 14:52:26 PST 2009

Funny you should mention that David.  Kent claims "magic" several places
all over his article.... what was that quote from Arthur C. Clark.....
?   I make the opposite point.  This aint magic, and if you stop and
think about the consequences of not compensating for individual
instrument inharmonicity you will quickly see that that claim cant hold
water either.  In fact Kent quotes  Stopper saying exactly that. This is
no doubt a fine piece of softeware... but lets not try and pass it off
for something it isnt.  "Magic" doesnt do Stopper justice at all. He
spent a lot of hard work and long hours working all this out... with
maths mind you... so it all does make perfect... and quite rational sense.

Cheers
RicB

    Well it must be magic...
    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA 94044

 >From RicB:
"...You can quite easily accomplish a P-12ths tuning ..."

Let's follow the <thin> clues we have so far.

1. Stopper has stated that his tuning is NOT a P-12ths tuning.
2. I've experimented with P-12ths tunings, they don't seem appropriate
for many types of pianos.
3.  Kent stated that he's tried the OnlyPure on many types of pianos and
the tuning "worked" for all of them.
4. Stopper's definition of "pure" is not the same as the traditional
tuner's nomenclature of a partial match.  (something about where the sum
of beats of all relevant partial matches of octave and octave-fifth are
at a minimum...)

So where does that lead?  Not to a simple Tunelab curve. It's an
interesting puzzle.  Especially since Stopper seems to discount
inharmonicity - the software seems to work without any measurements from
the piano to customize the tuning.

Ron Koval
Concordia University