[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Mar 8 08:01:22 PDT 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Some have suggested that to choose to not learn a bit about unequal
> temperaments and their proper application is to unprofessional (my
> wording).  My thinking is the opposite: that to position oneself as
> an authority with only a bit of knowledge is quite unprofessional.

	I have a different take. In my ideal world, the caut is not "the
authority," but someone with the knowledge and willingness to
collaborate. I would certainly never presume to tell the prof or
visiting artist what to do. If they know what they want, I provide it.
But there are many circumstances where we work together, or ought to.
Take deciding what to put on the historic instrument (if there is one
or more) used by students to practice. I think the caut should be able
to talk to the prof and come up with something reasonable, ideally a
series of reasonable tunings, to expose the students to a range of
temperaments, and to have the opportunity to teach them where and when
they were used, and for what repertory. We are there for the students
(we being the institution and its employees). This is in their best
interest - how else, how better are they going to learn what different
temperaments sound like?
	Professors in the field are likely to have a certain amount of "book
learning" on the subject, but are likely to be somewhat tentative and
confused themselves - most won't have good tuning chops, and won't
have a great handle on how things really sound or ought to sound. So
there is an opportunity to put sound to the theories, and make them
real. They are likely to think of us as at least a little
authoritative on subjects pertaining to tuning - that's as it should
be, don't you think?
	I agree it is a field where there are so many opinions and such lack
of clarity that it is hard to become well grounded. But the basic
facts are pretty obvious and apparent, and have been so for centuries.
I read Rousseau and Montal, and they are describing my own experience.
It boils down to the problem of trying to resolve thirds and fifths
within the octave, the insoluble puzzle. Something has to give. There
are an infinite number of possible individual solutions/compromises,
but really there are only a few patterns that were used historically,
along with variants that aren't all that much different from one
another, in spite of the extraordinarily heated arguments the subject
raises.
	IOW, it is a subject that doesn't need to be nearly as confusing as
it has become. It can be learned fairly readily and easily if
presented well. It hasn't been presented well in many cases, hence the
confusion. We need to do something about it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu