[CAUT] String Leveling question

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 04:45:59 PDT 2009

Hi, David and Colleagues -

I have little to add to Fred Sturm's very thorough reply on this  topic.
Here's the 'little'.

It's impractical to use the plate as the reference base for leveling
anything since most of its surfaces are not flat and the whole casting is  subject to
irregularities.  The keybed is a decent reference plane since  it's fairly
flat, and - on the blueprint anyway - level with the  earth.  In most modern
pianos the string plane is designed parallel to the  keybed.  (Actually, there
are two string planes of course counting the  separate one for the bass
strings.)  However, various things happen in the  execution of the blueprints
conspiring in most cases to leave the string plane  not perfectly parallel to the
keybed.

A practical solution is to use the actual plane of the strings as the
reference plane.  When I'm trying to do string leveling as well as I can, I  use a
level placed along the strike line of a whole section.  Then I level  that line
by jacking up the piano at the treble or bass leg as necessary.   Even this
is an approximation because of all the irregularities of the string  thickness,
etc.  But if the strike line is leveled like this it enables you  to get more
'information' from the bubble on the Goss tool.

As Fred has pointed out, the goal isn't really 'levelness' in the strict
sense; it's just to get the hammer to strike all its strings  simultaneously.
The string leveling changes slightly when the strings move  around in the course
of tuning.  This can be significant with a new or  newly strung piano during
the "mostly pitch raising" tuning phase.  Good to  tweak the leveling again
after some months of tuning and playing.

~ Tom  McNeil ~

Vermont Piano Restorations
346 Camp Street
Barre, VT  05641