[CAUT] Nossman Rebuilds.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 9 14:58:26 PDT 2009

I'd like to chime in a welcome to Kevin as well.  And I agree as far as
it goes both about the pianos rebuilt (at least the one I've had the
pleasure of viewing) and Ron O's comments as to the desirability of
moving forward into new territory. Not that I mean in the same breath we
need scoff at what has been done before us, or overly blame people for
being people.... after all they will continue so in any case like it or
not. That said... I hope very much to one day be able to import either a
Nossaman or an Overs to these parts.

As far as Australians self image is concerned.... grin... Try the
Scandinavian version ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law

Cheers
RicB

    Jim,

    I agree with your post. Simply continuing to build the same spec.,
    as was derived a century ago, can't possibly yield state of the art.
    A passionate quest for incorporating the results of years of
    thinking and testing ideas is what moves the knowledge base forward.
    Ron N. is one of a small number who are working at further
    developing tone building.

    Thankfully, a few people in the USA seem to be paying attention to
    these endeavours in progress. Is this because US society seems to
    tolerate itself believing that it can achieve? Here in Australian
    our collective attitude seems to be that the only people capable of
    achieving anything are anyone else but Australians. We need to grow
    up as a nation and realise that we have pretty much the same
    bell-curve of intellectual capability as exists elsewhere on the
    planet. The Australian self-deprecating attitude that pervades here,
    like some terminal disease, doesn't seem to be doing us any favours.

    Ron O.