[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 13 12:48:30 PDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Kidwell, Ted W wrote:

> Thanks for the input. I’ll have to try this. I had seen this
> technique in a Journal article a year or so ago but it looked time
> consuming. If you say it is as fast as, and better than bolstering
> I’ll have to give it a try.
>
> One more question- do you treat the felt under the leather in any
> way before regluing?

	Well, in my experience it was easier than it seemed it would be.
Knuckles vary, and actually cutting loose one side of a knuckle
leather can vary from simple to touchy. It depends where the glue is.
Sometimes there is quite a bit between the leather and the felt, so
you need to break that loose by running something like a small
screwdriver blade between those materials first. And sometimes there
is quite a bit of glue squeeze out from putting the core into the slot
in the shank, so there is glue between the leather and the shank. A
sharp chisel is best for that. The actual glue joint between the
leather and the core is usually a piece of cake, but the other areas
can make it a little challenging.
	Then it is a matter of dabbing some glue, stretching the leather, and
clamping, using the clamp to help stretch the leather (grab and pull).
	I haven't ever done anything to the felt core. I'm not sure what you
_could_ do that would make a difference. It is usually a round cutout
with a slot for the core, and would be hard to match or to adjust. In
any case, stretching the leather around it makes for a much better
round profile. And tight leather works a lot better than sloppy
leather for the feel of the action.
	My memory is a little vague - it's been a while since I did this kind
of job - but I'm thinking it took well less than 2 hours, closer to 1,
on average. Less than one hour if things go particularly smoothly.
It's a good plan to practice on some "archived used parts" to build up
technique. For efficiency, it is best to cut loose all (or a section)
first, then glue all.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico