[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 13 13:49:52 PDT 2009

Those pictures go back to a TTT column I wrote about 2 years ago.
I modified the clamps from something I saw in Alan Crane's shop at WSU.

I read about knuckle recovering in an English book on piano repairs.
If you have enough time, you can recover the knuckle core with action cloth.
Cut the leather and cloth off the rosewood core, bend a little piece of action cloth over it, glue it and clamp it. When it's dry, slice the cloth at an angle toward the core, to make a "round" contour. Clamp and glue buckskin strips as in the photo. Make sure the grain of the buckskin all runs in the same direction.

When I was working for a state university and used up the parts budget, I spent a day or two recovering knuckles this way. It worked rather well.

Ed Sutton