[CAUT] Knuckles (was Re: STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 13 16:00:32 PDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 4:27 PM, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>  It is a lot faster than cutting leather and clamping,
> as it can be done without removing the shanks.

	I'll note that I cut and clamp leather without removing the shanks.
It is done with the stack off, action on edge (jacks down, wipp screws
up). Pull each shank down in turn (hammer to the bench surface, shank
is now horizontal)), do what is necessary to cut the leather (the
shank is being supported by the bench to some extent, and I find there
is enough room to work while supporting the shank with one hand). Then
the gluing and clamping, done with with right sized clamps, can be
done in place as well, one after the other, the clamps being narrow
enough to be right next to each other. Or you can do every other one,
and by the time you go through them all, the glue (hot hide) is set
enough to pull the clamps off and start again.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu