[CAUT] Worn whippen cushions / VS Profelt

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 14 14:26:53 PDT 2009

Hi

With all the discussion surrounding this stuff, I decided to try it out
on an old Hume today.  The whippen cushions were deeply indented so I
smoothed things out a bit with 80 grit sand paper and then put a couple
drops of this stuff  on each cushion right at the indent. That,
polishing the capstans, and polishing the keypins along with adding
telfon powder to key bushings and knuckles resulted in a huge drop in
friction. I went from an average of 18-20 grams of friction down to
around 10 grams.

The indentation was not completely removed by the sanding, but  a half
an hour after applying the VS Profelt there was no sign of any
indentations any more.

Cheers
RicB