[CAUT] agraffe leveling

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Tue Mar 31 09:10:45 PDT 2009

Greetings all,

Many pianos have an inclined (warped) string plane through the tenor
section, sometimes severely. And iIf the agraffes are drilled at 90 degrees
to the plate surface, then they will all be tilted in relationship to the
keybed.

In this situation, it's very hard to level strings/mate them to the hammers,
(push the left string down, pull the right one up, etc.) and I don't think
the results will be all that stable. So, you may want to try this:

1.) Measure string height at each end of the section:

i.e.: note # 21: 18.9cm / note # 51: 19.25cm

2.) Place a straight-edge across the strings and see if they somewhat
conform to the plane of the straightedge. IOW, are the holes in the agraffes
parallel to the (inclined) plane of the strings. You can see this fairly
easily, and you can also pluck or strum strings to check contact with your
straight-edge.

3.) On the bench, prop the section of hammers at strike height, then tilt
them to match the string plane of the piano. (in this instance, raise your
hammer prop, voicing block whatever by 3.5cm at note #51.

The hammers will now be stair-stepped from bass to treble.

4.) With light pressure, gang-file the hammer crowns until they are all
parallel to the string plane. Very little felt will be removed, and the
angle is slight, but use care as the hammers will want to tilt if you use
too much sanding pressure.

When a tenor section is severely sloped, this method works very well.

It obviously doesn't guarantee a perfect string/hammer-mating right off the
bench, but gives you a really practical starting point. More importantly in
a high-use situation, it is sustainable. In other words, once the crowns are
tilted (corrected?) to the string plane, it's very easy to maintain shape,
voicing and string-level throughout the life of the hammer.

I had a real crisis of conscience the first time I did this to a section of
hammers, but compared to the alternatives (tilting the hammers, aggressively
kinked strings) this turns out to be an easier decision to live with.

Btw, in agreement with Bob's comments below, and furtherto, always keep in
mind what effect your string bend has on both sides of the agraffe.

Best regards,

Mark Cramer, RPT

Brandon University

  _____