[CAUT] wax on Steinway D

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Mar 31 12:06:01 PDT 2009

I saw a touchup guy remove smears, and also strap marks, on a new S&S
D by using fine steel wool wet with slightly diluted Murphy's Oil
Soap. He rubbed it with long extremely straight strokes, then dried
it with a towel.

I used the same process on an old D in a church which had been really
messed up - waxed and then polished with some kind of crud which left
a sort of matte finish, only not everywhere. Big swoop marks with the
stuff. It took some work, because the whole case was involved - but
it ended up looking like a standard pretty good satin finish. It
started showing fingerprints just like a newer piano, because the
Murphy's Oil Soap removed the wax and hand grease which had built up,
but that was minor.

Susan Kline
OSU, Newport Arts Center