[CAUT] fulcrum of a key

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Fri Oct 2 15:28:49 MDT 2009

Fred,

Another interesting topic, Fred.  One that I have investigated a little,
but certainly not exhaustively.

I believe it is safe to say that the fulcrum axis line is ALWAYS moving
during play.  As far as I know, it moves front to back depending on the
shape of the rail under the punching, and angle of the key in relation
to the rail top surface.  It can also move up and down (well, in an arc
actually) depending on the shape of the balance hole in the key
(cylindrical or conical). This last point is why a nice key balance hole
easing with a tapered tool from above really improves the tone and feel
of the action.

When designing the action, ratios are based on the pin location but in
reality, they do scootch around quite a bit.

Balance rails normally have a bevel on the front and back to allow
clearance of the keys during use, but the bevel is almost never directly
under the punching.  So it doesn't help much to add precision to the
balance axis line.  If a piano has that bevel cut lined up with the key
pins, it would have a similar effect as cutting the punchings.

The 1/2-round changes the way the key rolls, but I believe it actually
reduces the amount of fore-aft movement of the pivot line as compared to
a normal rail.  It is my feeling that it reduces the ratio change as
compared to a normal rail, and that may be why it was adopted in the
first place!  As for whether this is part of the "accelerated" action
concept, well, it's dangerous to mix marketing with engineering in that
way . . . . :-)

It seems that David Stanwood's nifty idea does force the rotational axis
to become more stationary, although it seems there are other drawbacks
to the system, such as increasing the vertical movement of the key on
the pin.  This is not a desirable motion to have, although it is
probably OK as a trade-off for improving the touch in other ways.  The
amount of up-down sliding must be pretty minimal, even at the most
extreme settings.

So, perhaps the central issue of your topic is: Is it desirable for the
rotational axis of the key to move fore and aft during play?  Now that's
a question.

As for the firmness of the balance punching, well, yes, harder is better
for the touch.  I think we'd all like the precision of metal washers
under there, but between the noise and the damage to the pianist's
tendons, I think we prefer to live with the vagueness of nice firm
bushing cloth.

Don Mannino