[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

Geoffrey Pollard g.pollard at usyd.edu.au
Thu Oct 15 18:14:57 MDT 2009

I¹m interested to hear from anyone who has any 3 ­5 year old Bechstein model
Bs in heavy use, and would care to share your experience of tuning stability
in this piano.
I¹m having severe unison drift in the lower capo section (10 ­ 15 strings/up
to 5 cents/individual strings within the trichord) within 10 days of tuning;
remainder of the piano is rock solid.
We have 10 Bechsteins and the ones giving trouble are in keyboard teaching
rooms and get heavy student use outside teaching hours.
Other pianos in these rooms ( S&S B and Yam C5) are stable.
I have diagnosed rendering problems due to a steep-ish approach angle to the
capo. I¹m now 2 months into a regime of revisiting fortnightly to rectify
just the unisons, with a major focus on hammer technique. They are still not
stable.

Also happy to talk off list, thanks,

Geoffrey Pollard

GEOFFREY POLLARD  |  Piano Technician