[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 17 11:52:36 MDT 2009

Hi Geoff,
                   It was great meeting up with you again in Brisbane.

If you feel it is just steep Capo angle, and excessive friction that
is the cause of the problem of setting the pin. As apposed to a
design structural problem.
A few things that may help. We have older Mason and Hamlin's and
Heintzman's with similar problems.

1. Prop open dampers.  Use a small artist brush to paint on some
centre pin lubricant on the beating points, use a paper towel to wipe
up the excess.
2. You can use a string spacer to lightly tap the strings left and
right, this will burnish the bearing point and make the string easier
to render.
3. The counter bearing cloth is quite wide on this model if my faded
memory serves me correctly, this is high friction depending on how
low the string coil is with respect to the belly felt.
lightly spraying the cloth with Wet TFL50 Teflon will reduce this
friction significantly.   Careful does it,because this is an open
faced block. Very little room for error.

Warmest Regards
Roger