[CAUT] IPod and Tune lab

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Fri Apr 9 21:06:25 MDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu> wrote:
> My graphs do NOT look like these. Mine are more arched.

If your iPod is on a wireless network, bring up your tuning curve,
take a screenshot (Press Sleep/Wake and Home at the same time), then
send it.  It should look Railsback'ish, and if it doesn't then you may
have some bad iH readings, which happens often enough.  Move the unit
around to get best reading, etc.

> I’ve tried to play around with things, and I did make it better for one tuning. What I really
> want is a tutorial that takes me step by step through the setup. I can’t find one.

It sounds like you've got the basics.  Put it on auto, select your
octave styles, measure iH, observe a reasonable curve, then start
tuning to the red line.  That's about it for a tutorial.  Of course,
there are all sorts of variations and uses of the curve adjusters,
etc., and those all involve the partial terminology and theory.

I find Tunelab a bit more of a tuner-geek tool than a tune by the
numbers one, though it works as well as any of the others for that
too.  Verituner is unique in the "determine iH as you go" area.

Jim