[CAUT] using as ETD

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Apr 13 17:30:57 MDT 2010

Ron wrote:  " The ETD uses the fundamental to determine the pitch, and will not be 'listening' to the fifths, fourths and tenths which will be annoying the aural tuner at the break transition."

Your observations about the hockey stick bridges and inharmonicity jumps are totally correct.  However no ETD that I am aware of listens to the fundamental in the hockey stick area.  SAT is listening to the 4th partial, TuneLab is flexible and can listen to any partial the tuner determines, but I'm not aware of anyone setting TuneLab to listen to the fundamental in that area.  My choice was the 3rd partial in that area.  The Verituner supposedly listens to multiple partials though I've never used one so I can't verify that.

Listening to the 3rd of 4th partial seems to help that area to be somewhat less bad that if it really were listening to the fundamental.

I still believe that once you solve the puzzle on a given piano it's nice to be able to save that solution for next time rather than solving the same puzzle over and over.  Before I retired from SMU my life consisted of maintaining 106 pianos.  It was quite a time and energy saver to pull out a saved solution for subsequent tunings rather than tuning as if I had never seen the instrument.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu