[CAUT] using as ETD

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Apr 18 18:09:21 MDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> Uh, there was a guy called "Beetgarden" or something like that.
> Unless by early you mean folks born early in that century.
> Laurence

Fair enough, I was in a Romantic period mindset, and really thinking
forward into the 19th century from maybe 1815 to 1880 or thereabouts,
so it didn't occur to me to include that minor figure from the archaic
past of the 18th century <G>. Still, if we want to include Ludwig in
the survey, his last 16 sonatas include seven with overall key
signatures of three or more sharps or flats. And three of those 16 are
"easy" (sonatinas) so perhaps they should be omitted from the
statistics. So Beethoven is certainly heading into the remoter keys in
his 18th century output for piano.
Fred

>> (Chopin excepted).
>

> And Schumann, and Schubert and Liszt and Mendelssohn. Are there any
> other truly prominent early 19th century composers for keyboard?
> (18th century is an entirely different matter).
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> fssturm at unm.edu
> http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm