[CAUT] using as ETD

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 19:37:23 MDT 2010

 Fred writes:

. Still, if we want to include Ludwig in the survey, his last 16 sonatas include seven with overall key signatures of three or more sharps or flats.

 That is less than 1/4 of his sonatas. How many of this total was in Eb, which he had a real fondness for? A  total of all sonatas shows a distinct pattern of prevalence for the the lower keys.  Showing a chronological change of direction in how he regarded keys is going to be tough.
If we look at LVB output a little closer, we see that out of 199 variations, 85 were in C, 23 in F, 10 in Bb, 15 in Eb then, nothing in Ab,C#,F#,B, or E.  That is total avoidance across that part of the circle.  There are 25 in A, 35 in D, and 6 in G.  A lopsided usage of the keys that mimics the gradient found in the third's tempering in WT.  I haven't run as many numbers on Schubert, but those I have support the same general breakdown of keys  used. He's got some waltzes in F# and C#, but of the first 12 sonatas I looked up, all 12 had 3 or fewer accidentals. That will probably be diluted some with more data, but I doubt the overall ratio will change much.

Ed Foote RPT