[CAUT] ET vs UET was RE: using as ETD

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 19 08:32:46 MDT 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 5:53 AM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> It's well known that as far back as the Renaissance equal
> temperament was one of many options among which musicians could
> select depending on taste and the demands of the music. It still is,
> but precise 100-cent semitones remain, it seems to me, a theoretical
> ideal seldom achieved (or maybe even desirable) in practice except,
> perhaps, on electronic instruments. At any rate I think it's fair to
> say that true ET is less prevalent on pianos today than many people
> suppose, and that euphonic results, however achieved, matter more
> than strict adherence to any theoretical model. Do we agree?
> Laurence

	Well, I 'm not sure we know a whole lot about what results are
actually euphonic, other than as a matter	highly individual personal
opinion.
	And the more precisely one tries to define ET, the less clear it all
becomes. Most of the talk about using aural means to adjust ETD
generated tunings is actually adjustment of what is closer to
scientific ET to make the predicted beat rate progressions happen on
an instrument with uneven inharmonicity. Real, scientific ET would be
setting an ETD at 0.0 for all notes and tuning fundamentals. What
tuners aim at is a "virtual reality" creation, what we might call
"aural ET.".
	I do think it is a very interesting question whether a precise "aural
ET" is preferable aesthetically to a somewhat randomly imprecise one,
or to a subtly adjusted one in which adjustments are made according to
a planned pattern. Experience suggests that the difference is pretty
subtle, unnoticeable to most people until the parameters become quite
wide (for a piano tuner).
	BTW, we should bear in mind that acousticians say the least
perceptible difference of pitch is in the realm of 6 cents or so,
varying somewhat up and down the pitch range. This has been
established by a number of independent tests, in which the subjects
are to say which of two pitches is higher than the other. This is, of
course, two pitches played separately in sequence. And I haven't been
able to find out anything about the type of subject selected for the
tests (I know I can hear smaller differences in most circumstances).
But it is very suggestive, and puts our agonizing over tenths of a
cent into perspective.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico