[CAUT] ET vs UET was RE: using as ETD

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Mon Apr 19 09:54:34 MDT 2010

Thank you for your cogent thoughts. I'd add only that unnoticed and
consciously imperceptible differences might still affect listener response,
especially cumulatively over the duration of a piece of music. Has this been
tested? I imagine not many wind and string players and singers intentionally
(rather than intuitively or automatically) inflect leading tones, etc., or
are always aware they're doing it. The fact that we have little problem
accommodating pitch inflection by orchestral instruments and singers
indicates that in- and out-of-tuneness aren't absolutes; rather, they're
largely culturally determined and relative. That's one reason (xenophobia's
another) why much Asian music sounds out of tune to Western ears. I'm afraid
our rigidly fixed-pitch keyboard instruments don't foster appreciation for
such subtlety, and I wonder whether sitar and di players would be more
sensitive to deviation from ET than most pianists are.
Laurence