[CAUT] ET vs UET

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Tue Apr 20 21:41:52 MDT 2010

Surely tunings don't need to be defended and no one needs to feel defensive
about them. One thing I've gained from this temperament discussion and a
parallel one going on simultaneously on a clavichord list, is how
differently people can conceptualize a common term. Even among formidably
intelligent CAUTs, the term ET evidently carries various meanings, and to
acousticians it means something else, and I suppose something different to
neuroscientists studying music cognition . So, if I were commissioning an
encyclopedia article on ET (not the space alien), who would I ask to write
it? It's not a simple definition; you can appreciate the problem by
comparing the discussions in the New Harvard Dictionary of Music and the
1955 Oxford Companion to Music. If authoritative sources conflict, who's
right? Can they be reconciled? Tune in next week.
Laurence