[CAUT] [pianotech] restoration

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Apr 22 18:51:29 MDT 2010

>The prior sanding of the ivories was quite unnecessary.  The job
>could have been done with just peroxide (the cream, as I said, is
>more convenient and labour-saving) and the ivory polished afterwards.

I just watched the whole series. I was shocked at how many sanding
passes he made, and how even the finer grits removed quite a bit of
material. There's this to be said for it, the ivory ended up mostly
flat, when it must have started out dished in the middle register
quite a lot. That's fine, assuming you start with so much thickness
that you can lose that much. Also, by sanding first, the peroxide
didn't bead up because of old wax on the ivory.

I couldn't quite tell what that last step was. It looked like he put
some kind of solvent, like alcohol, on a soft pad on his sander, and
then rubbed white tripoli onto it and buffed with that, to get a high
sheen. If so, there was probably beeswax in the tripoli, so he would
end up with ivory extremely smooth and shiny, but not slippery. From
looking at the final segment and the way he was playing the piano, I
doubt he was very aware of the necessity to avoid slippery keytops
... but you never know.

When I saw him tuning, I thought that his stance looked quite
uncomfortable and inefficient.

The center pinning would have gone far better with a press, or maybe
two presses, and a set of Don Mannino's reamers. He was using a
tapered reamer. He got away without a press because the hammer butts
had the plate, so he could release the center pin instead of pressing it out.

He certainly aced the loops, with that simple bench jig. He must have
made hundreds of thousands of them, all the same style.

It looked like his string testing showed the bass bridge with
negative bearing, but I saw no sign that he had done anything about it.

Having gone to such lengths, even new keypins, you would have thought
he might have popped for new hammers.

Very orderly kind of work, and plenty of it for sure. I agree that
the hot hide glue looked far too thick, and the process for bushing
was very slow and tedious. He did end up with the b.r. bushings
coming out the sides, though, which I don't do. I would have soaked
out the old bushings, waiting a little and then pulling them out --
but I would also have ended up with soak markets on the keybuttons.
How he did everything showed that he put a premium on looks. Buffing
the hammer butt plates with a tiny wheel!

The file looked like quite a good way to get the old butt felt off.

Susan Kline