[CAUT] ET or UET

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 30 19:03:57 MDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Ron Koval wrote:

> What's been missing for some time is a resource to
> be able to hear the difference between tunings - either for
> performers or techs.

Hi Ron,
	The resource you describe is an interesting one. It would be much
more valuable if there were, say, an ET file paired with each EBVT
file. Which, of course, is a lot of work - re-tune the piano at the
minimum. And we have the same caveats about whether the tuning is
solid, unisons are good, conditions when the piano was tuned got in
the way of the tuning, etc.
	There is another possibility that is much easier to execute (for
someone with the equipment and knowledge). That would be to use
digital technology. I posted this link a while back http://www.h-pi.com/TBX1buy.html
It is a tuning box that allows one to put any tuning on a midi
interface device. So, using this box, one could take a live midi
performance and vary the tuning at will. Or one could take a raw file
from Sibelius or Finale or some other music scoring software and
generate a performance. Yes, the sound will be synthetic, but
synthetic sounds are awfully close to acoustic sounds when listened to
through speakers or headphones.
	Not an area I have expertise or equipment to pursue, and I don't
really have the obsessive interest some have in this area. I have done
my own experimentation, and have convinced myself that "the earth
doesn't shake for me" when changing tuning patterns (I'm far more
interested in what the performer does, as long as the unisons or the
voicing don't get in the way). But it is an avenue that could give
people the possibility of making up their own minds based on real life
experience rather than the descriptions of others.
	On a related topic, at this point, assuming pianos are available, I
think there will be a "Temperament Gallery" in Las Vegas, with pianos
tuned in various ways, available for people to play. I will volunteer
to do some demo. One thing I had in mind was to play four preludes
from WTC I: C and C# major, and A and Bflat minor. This gives two
pairs, major and minor, with the extremes of key signatures: all
naturals, and all accidentals. The C and C# I would play both in the
original key and then transposed into the other (each would be played
in both C and C#) as an interesting additional wrinkle. I could also
play a couple movements of Mozart Sonata in F major K332, which
wanders a good bit in Mozartean style (via augmented sixth chords), by
no means harmonically static. And we can try to recruit other
volunteers to perform, maybe some romantic period literature as well.
(Most of what I do is 20th and 21st century, but the pieces I
mentioned I can easily get together and sight read).
	Anyone interested in participating actively, please contact me.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht