[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 3 11:20:43 MST 2010

> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:38:05 -0700
> From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
> To: caut at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments
>
> On Jan 2, 2010, at 1:28 PM, David Love wrote:
>

> 	Personally, I'd far rather be a part of the department than, say, an
> adjunct of physical plant, which sends people over to fix plumbing,
> HVAC and lighting, etc.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
> fssturm at unm.edu

Fred, as I wrote before - Creative Arts Technical Services technicians
are not building maintenance people. That's Facilities Management.  We
are concerned with the technical aspects of the disciplines being taught
at the schools.
We work closely with the departments whose technical needs we serve -
but in a relationship that is not subordinate to them and which
generally results in much better working conditions that those
prevailing in places where technical personnel is not generally
respected. The consultative nature of the relationship is built in and
is fostered by the administrative setup. That does not mean that such a
relationship cannot be created under the standard administrative setup -
but there are certain built-in protections under our setup from some of
the difficulties that can be imposed when direct Music Dept supervision
is in place.

Israel Stein