[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 4 08:38:46 MST 2010

Hi Israel,
	My characterization was in response to Jeff Tanner's posts, which
emphasized the notion of caut as doing physical maintenance work, and
endorsed having supervision by someone who understood that kind of
thing. Your setup in SF is far different, obviously. And it makes
perfect sense, though I suspect that budgetary issues might put
pressure on to "reduce a level of management" and do away with an
"unnecessary bureaucracy." That is certainly how many bean counters
might see the situation.
	Here at UNM, the tech folks in theater are faculty: wardrobe, scene
design, lighting, even the technical manager is a faculty position
(and those skills are taught to students, who actually do a good deal
of the work). So it is very much integrated. I don't know about
"plastic arts" department (painting, sculpture, etc). In music, we
have a recording engineer who also teaches a couple classes, same
thing with a person who oversees the computer lab, a full time bands
assistant, etc. IOW some integration of tech support into "quasi-
faculty," though on a lower level than theater.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu