[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:26:58 MST 2010

My experience has been rather limited as a CAUT (about 16 mo now) here at Southern Illinois University.  Though the initial salary was posted a bit low and equivalent to the swimming pool tender that was posted at the same time my offer from the Music Director was seemingly at par with other university postings.  My time is "flex time" so I am free to come and go as appropriate as long as I put in my time and get the work done.  I am free to decide what piano needs work and as long as there is funds I can order parts.  I do go in early, late, and on weekends as well as attend recitals to asses my work and enjoy the company of faculty and students.  The faculty have been appreciative and have interest in the expertise I provide as a piano technician.  I started this position at a young 59 and have enjoyed other careers while tuning/rebuilding full and part time since my late teens and early twentys.  I enjoy and am thankful for the opportunity that I have at SIU.  Maybe it shows not only in attitude but in the work that is done.  Yes, I wish my salary was higher and that I did not feel compelled to do private work to "make ends meet" (though they seemingly never do).  However, that is the way it is at the present.  It is also frustrating to know that the guy that drives the truck for the piano moves and etc. makes union scale for truck drivers...maybe twice what I make in a year!    But what skill he must have to be able to back that truck into a loading dock!  I still can look with satisfaction on all that I have done and what I am doing presently.  And yes, I do believe CAUTS should have higher salaries and more rapid opportunities for advancement.  How that comes about, well that's another story.  I continue to read with interest, some dismay, and knowledge that with all this there are better days ahead.

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician, School of Music