[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Jan 5 08:44:57 MST 2010

Hi-

I would suggest that for better or worse we are in the position where
whatever respect or distinction we may acquire within our departments is an
individual thing based mostly on our own credibility and abilities, earned
over time. None of this comes with the title. Granted there may be some
remote administrators who lump us in with the grounds maintenance crew, but
certainly not the music faculty- I hope. Anyone who is reasonably satisfied
with your own department system will make a strong case for that, of
course.  What I hear in the end it comes down to ... respect.  You have to
know that from a different perspective most faculty also struggle with the
same thing.  It's relative.  The regard I feel around the this department is
magically somehow directly proportional to the condition of the important
pianos.  Go figure....

That's how I see it anyway. Refuse to do any more than your absolute best.
If that doesn't work out, nothing else is going to either.

Dennis Johnson