[CAUT] Best (and Worst) Jobs

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 8 18:13:09 MST 2010

Where do they get this information?
How many members of PTG would describe themselves as "Piano Tuners?"
I don't think the salaries are based on accurate samplings for self-employed piano technicians.

The categories by which they rate the jobs are all negative, that is, they rate the stresses and dangers which "labor" must cope with in order to "keep the job."

Studies of life satisfaction and happiness show a very different picture. Once people earn enough to provide for basic needs, the best way to increase happiness is to increase ones autonomy and control over ones work and life. Increasing income without increasing freedom does not effectively increase happiness.

For many of us in this profession, the freedom to control our work is a major motivator.

Ed S.