[CAUT] Best (and Worst) Jobs

Carl Root carldroot at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 20:28:42 MST 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Where do they get this information?

They get some of it from the bureau of labor statistics.

> How many members of PTG would describe themselves as "Piano Tuners?"
> I don't think the salaries are based on accurate samplings for self-
> employed piano technicians.

Clearly.  This discrepancy was a motivation to do the first PTG survey
back in the eighties.  Most techs are indeed self-employed. . .  but
how do you factor in all the guys (and gals) working limited hours,
for whatever reason?  Average figures are really useless.

> The categories by which they rate the jobs are all negative, that
> is, they rate the stresses and dangers which "labor" must cope with
> in order to "keep the job."
>
> Studies of life satisfaction and happiness show a very different
> picture. Once people earn enough to provide for basic needs, the
> best way to increase happiness is to increase ones autonomy and
> control over ones work and life. Increasing income without
> increasing freedom does not effectively increase happiness.
>
> For many of us in this profession, the freedom to control our work
> is a major motivator.

We asked that question in the survey and the data supports your
hypothesis.

Carl