[CAUT] Piano Mechanics class

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jan 12 07:54:59 MST 2010

General Lesson Plan

Weeks 1,2,3

Piano Nomenclature- inside and out!
Piano Care and piano “shopping”
How to remove case parts on both vertical and grand pianos
Moving pianos
Quiz #1
Readings:  The Piano Book, chapters 1,2,7

Weeks 3,4,5,

Tuning basics with lots of hands-on
(tuning will be included throughout the semester)
Voicing
Basic everyday repairs (repairs will also be touched on throughout the
semester)
Quiz #2

Weeks 6,7,8,9

Regulation of vertical and grand action models
Piano evaluation of class piano and a practice grand on third floor
Class project:  Improving a vertical piano in shop
Basic repairs
Quiz #3

Weeks 10,11,12

Regulation of grand pianos
More repairs

Remainder of Semester

Pot-Pourri of piano “stuff”
Term paper is due last day of class during dead week
Final Exam; (take home) due on last day of class during dead week

Jeannie,

This is a very loose outline and really doesn't always follow the
strictest of order.  I'm actually going to dive into vertical regulation
right off the bat.  I think I'll hold out on tuning until later in the
semester, but these have already been printed out to hand to the students
today, their first day of class and I don't have time to re-organize.
But...you get the idea of the course from this.

Best,
Paul

Say Hi to the Seattle chapter from me!