[CAUT] Piano Mechanics class

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Thu Jan 14 14:15:42 MST 2010

Hi Paul,

Looks familiar. One difference though, and it is a big one, is that in my class I make it crystal clear from the outset that the class is NOT to teach them how to be a piano technician. It is as the purposes below indicate, to help them understand their instrument from a technical perspective so that they might be able to communicate with their technician more easily. Now of course if one of the students became interested, then I would point them in the direction of North Bennett St, or Western Ontario, etc.

I teach this once a year and I've concluded that it needs to be a 3 credit class taught at least two days a week for 90 minutes each for 10 weeks (a quarter). We do lots of hands on, including tuning. But the tuning is limited to a couple unisons. The purpose there is for them to "get" first hand that what we make look easy is, in fact, not.

I love teaching this class!! Interacting with the students is a big part of my enjoyment here. But I'm not all that interested in teaching them how to do what I do. I love interacting with pianists about the piano and how to make our collaboration work so their job of making music is more satisfying.

Alan