[CAUT] misha dichter

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Wed Jan 27 23:44:18 MST 2010

Hi, David,

My experience with Dichter is pretty much that of Ed's.  If the
Hamburg is fairly recent, the damper timing should be basically
OK.  He used to practice on NYs with very little hardening, to build
strength...Danny Pollack does the same thing;  when they were doing
more duo-piano stuff, Mischa would always take the "darker" piano,
leaving the "brighter" one for Cipa.  Either way, both appreciate a
quick action, but become quickly annoyed by blocking or
double-striking...I've always attributed that to their both having
"grown up" on pre-teflon/pre-screwy-action S&S where there was a
greater range of regulatory possibilities  (which, I guess, is
another way of saying that they both can make use of and appreciate
an action which allows them to exercise the control they have...Like
Ed said...the issue is one of control.)  Also, he'll probably notice
any extraneous action/damper/pedal noise.

Wim...very sorry that you had that experience.  I've tuned for the
Dichters a lot over the years and never had an experience anything
like what you describe.  Is it possible that he was sick, or harried,
or something?  ...Not trying to make excuses, but just surprised
because this is very outside my memory of either of them.

Best.

Horace