[CAUT] Fwd: Fwd: liszt temp

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 29 10:29:06 MST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>  I have not seen a single bit of evidence anywhere, or any
> suggestion, that even one of these great composers did not welcome
> advances of the instrument.  Do you not agree that given the choice
> any one of them would jump at the modern concert Steinway?
> Beethoven especially, and Lizst.

	I think it is reasonable to suppose that they would use the dominant
instrument, and would prefer it if they had it. But that is
speculation. The instrument they wrote for is the instrument they had.
Sometimes it doesn't make so much difference, but sometimes it does.
	With Liszt, probably the biggest difference is in clarity. To give
one example, he liked to reinterpret chords to move to strange
harmonic places, often by changing a single inner voice. This can be
hard to make audible on a modern concert grand, but it "just happens"
on a period instrument - that is, you don't have to make an effort, it
sticks out without trying, The same thing can be said of some passage
work, where there is what we hear as a "wash of color" on a modern
grand, in which the individual notes disappear. On a period
instrument, the intricacies of figuration are more apparent.
	With Chopin, I was interested to hear a very prominent French
pianist, Marylene Dosse (who recently semi-retired here), tell
students at a Chopin masterclass that they should always practice
pedaling with the tip of the toe, the point being that they should
learn the technique of "half pedal." Again, it is a question of
clarity. With the pedal fully depressed, the modern piano has too much
resonance and sustain, and a lot can disappear in the "mud." Chopin
wrote for a piano with much less sustain, and considerably more
clarity. You can play his music well and successfully on a modern
instrument, but learning how it sounds on his piano often reveals
considerably more. And bringing those things out on a modern
instrument requires special techniques.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico