[CAUT] Fwd: Fwd: liszt temp

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri Jan 29 08:07:27 MST 2010

Yes....  and agreed.  The experience that period keyboards provide can be a
huge revelation with great insight.  That's why we do it, and love them.
I'm off to prep for a recording on our Reiger fortepiano this morning.  I
don't mean or want to provoke, but having said that, I also feel that can be
to taken to mean more than it does.  I have not seen a single bit of
evidence anywhere, or any suggestion, that even one of these great composers
did not welcome advances of the instrument.  Do you not agree that given the
choice any one of them would jump at the modern concert Steinway?  Beethoven
especially, and Lizst.  On some level I suppose that becomes a moot point,
but my instinct says they might actually look back and call us misguided.
:).   The instrument is the tool, not the essence.  Perhaps we can at least
agree that this is a complicated art with much mystery.

best,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College