[CAUT] Restricting piano movement

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 29 13:04:49 MST 2010

	I don't know how practical this would be, but probably the best way
to limit a piano is by installing a lip of something on the order of
1x2 around the area within which you want to allow the piano to move.
We have such a thing on a raised classroom stage, to keep the grand
from accidentally being pushed into the seats. [This actually happened
with an upright 15 - 20 years ago - amazingly enough there wasn't all
that much damage to the piano, and apparently nobody got hurt. But
thereafter we had some metal channel bolted to the stage lip.] It
_could_ be done within a room, with obvious drawbacks (among which
would be people tripping on it).
	Where it is a question of protecting walls, a "chair rail" works:
something on the order of 1x6 screwed to the wall at a height just
below that of a grand piano lid. Keeps the lid from being skinned as
well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico