[CAUT] Bergen Internation Festival

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jun 10 16:42:23 MDT 2010

Hi all

Thought I'd share a few concerts with you all.  This one is from the
closing concert. The piece below is Schumanns Piano concerto in A minor
with Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra directed by guest director Nikolaj
Snaider and soloist pianist Saleem Abboud-Ashkar.

As far as the piano goes, its an 11 year old Hamburg Steinway that
really needs its original set of hammers replaced. Eric Schandall did
the basic prep work and voicing and he took care of the instrument for
most of the festival. He left three days prior to this concert and in
the interim 2 major piano concerts were performed by Gabrielle Montero.
There was not much to do voicing wise a bit of evening out here and
there and I had to make the area from C6 to F7 just a little less
crisp/bright.... but the sound represents pretty well his voicing
style.  Its great having him here each year I can tell you. We pulled
off about 50 concerts between us splitting both Natt Jazz and Bergen
International Festival duties. The tuning in this piece is mine and I'm
quite happy with it. This aging solo instrument is getting difficult to
get really clean and we were (are) in the middle of the transition to
summer so it wanted to raise in pitch all day long.

In any case... hope you enjoy. The recording is taken from the Nett
radio, and compressed into MP3 format so its not exactly CD quality...
but its pretty fair.  I'll be posting all our piano work this year in
the days to come.

http://www.pianostemmer.no/music/schumann.mp3

Cheers
RicB