[CAUT] damper return noise/una corda

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu May 6 12:30:33 MDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Zeno Wood wrote:

> I remember hearing Ed McMorrow's take on this.  When the hammer
> strikes the two strings, the third string is out of phase, which
> causes noise on a slow damper release.  However, his solution was to
> tell the pianist not to do it.  FWIW.  YMMV.  Etc.

	Yep, I've heard that explanation, and it makes sense, sort of. I'd
love to see a high speed video  of it. Ed's "solution" isn't
practical. It's not just slow damper release, it is also "half damper
release." IOW, not quite a full "foot off the pedal" but lowering the
dampers rapidly (and immediately raising them again) just enough to
clear most of the harmony and set up for a new harmony. Far too much
of the time there is a noisy zing that results, almost louder than
attack sound. I do it exactly the same way without u c and no problem.
	But the slow release of the pedal at the end of a piece is something
that would be a great effect if we as technicians could make it so.
What a can of worms that is, trying to refine that beastie.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm