[CAUT] damper return noise/una corda

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Thu May 6 12:59:10 MDT 2010

I've also had very good results with Yamaha felt and use it whenever
possible, but who has time to replace the felt every 2 years to keep on top
of it.  I had very good results the last few times with this issue by
removing the dampers one at a time and lightly sanding the sides of the felt
with my very fine voicing sandpaper, then fitting and trimming the wedge
tips slightly if necessary.

Somethings work in one case that won't work in another, as usual, but part
of my theory is that if the wire makes an indentation on the felt and you
can see a line, that is prone to noise.  Not always in every case, but when
there is noise remove that and it's better.

Dennis Johnson