[CAUT] University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 8 15:15:23 MDT 2010

I don't know what the benefits package is but assuming there's health,
retirement, vacation, then I don't follow your figures.  Pretax health
insurance plans (depending on the employee contribution) can be worth quite
a bit especially when you consider any deductions for employee contributions
are usually pretax.  Vacation and retirements benefits are not paid for out
of gross salary.   Everyone has their own priorities and one needs to look
at the entire package versus what they are or aren't earning at present.  I
wouldn't do it because it doesn't make sense for me at my income level but
that doesn't mean it might not make sense for someone else.   I'm not
advocating for the position at that pay scale but you are mistaken if you
imagine that a tech without connections in a new town in northern Idaho can
walk in and earn $40,000 plus benefits.  Plus, tax incentives for
self-employed people???   What would those be?  The luxury of paying self
employment tax?  Take and extra 7.5% right off the top for being self
employed.  Great deal.  When times are tough some people need a job period
and some prefer the dependability of a pay check and benefits that come
regularly even if they are somewhat less than they "might" earn if their
business was flourishing.  The person whose business is flourishing is not
likely to opt for that position, don't you think?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com