[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 8 22:24:18 MDT 2010

It’s the 21st century.  Annual mailers, published studies, snail mail approaches are slow, ineffective too hard to update and expensive.  It’s the information age and internet technology and ideas should be used if you want to approach this.  Create a customer support position within the guild for customers (not just techs).  Using web based technology you can reach many more people more easily.  People and institutions seeking information about how to best meet their needs and/or hire can have someone to go to, information that they can read, and even a place to publish their listings (available for technicians) and get questions answered.  That exists already to some degree with how to find a technician and the non-tech information that is available.  With an expanded position (or a new one) in the home office dedicated to institutions you can create a “what institutions need to know about piano maintenance” type of link.  The idea can be expanded to function within the scope of what already exists but the approach should not be one of selling them something, rather it should be one of information support.  In the long run that will open more doors than a “why you should use an RPT and pay them more” approach.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com