[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sun May 9 01:30:39 MDT 2010

Hi, Wim,

Forgive me, you DO have a good point and I didn't acknowledge that.   We
should be in a position to respond to the immediate needs of a school with a
vacancy, that is an important time to be resourceful.

Because we'd like school administrators and their colleagues of influence
(piano professors, other leading piano teachers, other administrators) to
already have a good idea of what to look for and where to go to  get a piano
technician.   It's often too late by the time  the job opens up.  The job is
already structured based on preconceived  ideas, tradition, not CAUT
Guidelines recommendations.  Etc.

But you're right in that "striking while the iron is hot" is an effective
approach.   It's just that even in good times, the piano service  program is
often where money is "saved."  And there is always someone who  can do the
job for half the price, who might not have a clear idea of what is  needed
for the school's piano service program, but who is willing to tune pianos
and follow direction.  "RPT-equivalent," broadly defined, is usually  good
enough.....

We'd like administrators to always think of RPT when they think of who  to
find....and RPT, not "RPT-equivalent," whatever that means;  and the  rest
of the package too - satisfactory workload formula/staff support, support
for continuing education, sufficient parts and supplies inventory, student
help,  etc....

And a PTG which has committed to a college and university technician's
special skills and knowledge through the CAUT Endorsement and ongoing and
relevant CE is a good way to ensure our product is their best  choice.

Bill

In a message dated 5/8/2010 8:51:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,