[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Peter Sumner petersumner at mac.com
Sun May 9 08:55:37 MDT 2010

My first post....but not my first rodeo...

As we are a nation of immigrants and I am in my 13th year, are there qualifications from other parts of the world that the esteemed members here would regard as 'better than'...'equivalent to'...'not as good as'...the RPT registration?

The RPT is a registration validated by tests which establish basic competence...and requires an annual fee to keep 'current'.
Technicians in a factory in Hamburg serve a six year apprenticeship...
Similar entities are offered in Japan...and possibly other countries...
A three year full time course in Newark, England produced between 8 and 12 technicians each year who passed externally invidulated and monitored written, practical and tuning examinations.

Just an idle thought on a Northern California morning as the coffee creeps into my bones and I gleefully read the disparate postings as they pop into my mailbox....all very entertaining....thank you all.....

Peter Sumner
Redwood City
California.