[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sun May 9 12:24:45 MDT 2010

Welcome, Peter!   A great point.

As there are also "CPT's" in this country who took anything from a
correspondence course to a decent one-year course in basic piano  technology.

The "equivalent" reference may be a way to ensure that a competent pool of
applicants are available in a small market, but it also can be a way to
solicit a technician at a lower cost, without regard  to certification.

The RPT provides a measurement of a certain level of skill and  knowledge.
It is reasonably inexpensive for the examinee.  It is  a sign that the tech
receives a technical journal, and may be participating in  continuing
education and peer networking, and it provides the market with a  standard.

Some will regard it as beneath them, as they might an additional CAUT
Endorsement.   If the RPT is the only bona fide certification in  the U.S., but
is not required by law to practice the trade, the market is the  primary
force.

It is a certification of basic field service abilities, not a school or
training course degree.

If a member chooses not to test, he/she is an Associate Member.   The PTG
is a trade association, and wants all piano service professionals to
participate, even while it franchises and markets its certified  members.

The ease in which the RPT examinations can be taken in large parts of  the
country makes the discussion more about whether there is value in  testing.
  Does the marketplace want the RPT?     A CAUT Endorsement enhances the
RPT for the university marketplace.

Many associations have a similar situation, even when there is more
government participation in regulating the trade.  There is opportunity for  work
when a person has training and abilities, even without the standard
certification.  There is usually more opportunity WITH it (even though  that might
not be important to some in this unregulated  marketplace).   And the CAUT
Endorsement could enhance the RPT for the  university marketplace.

The idea of recognizing other certifications and courses of instruction has
 come up over the years, but has never gotten any steam.  The PTG
membership  structure accommodates pretty well through the RPT/Associate Member
structure  the need to market it's certification (RPT) while providing trade
association  opportunity with the Associate Member.

OK...the coffee is a good idea...as is getting my do list started
today.....

 Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
CAUT Committee Member
bdshull at aol.com

In a message dated 5/9/2010 8:56:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,