[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sun May 9 16:17:49 MDT 2010

Chris,

I'll answer interspersed:

In a message dated 5/9/2010 9:11:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
csolliday at rcn.com writes:

I have to agree with Bill that we could be doing more to promote RPTs to
institutions.

The CAUT Committee's focus on a CAUT Endorsement, with the 2008-9 board's
strong encouragement and official support, was a first step in what  still
could be an effective marketing approach.

Of course CAUTCOM could present a plan and ask for a budget  at anytime.
Who's at fault for not doing this adequately to date is  another chicken and
egg debate.

Better yet, let's bring a competent marketing consultant on board and
develop a comprehensive marketing strategy that we actually  implement.  The
board has resisted this, and has also eliminated the CAUT  Committee budget,
with a new budget-as-needed approach.  Competing with  other committees and
projects for the same money pot has its advantages and  disadvantages, but the
focus for the CAUT Committee has been on the CAUT  Endorsement - in other
words, developing a strong, marketable RPT for  universities and colleges.
And the board needs to go outside of itself and  any marketing committee to
bring in expert marketing consultation, as you and I  have both advocated for
years.  In the meantime, it is in the interest of  the PTG and any future
marketing strategy to have a sound product.  (A key  theme of the early 1990s
marketing strategy, the best period of  marketing in PTG history.)

I do suggest that Bill and cautcom seriously consider the issues that  have
led to the "withdrawal of support (a sloppy mischaracterization in  that
the Board is supportive of a CAUT endorsement, it is CAUTCOM that  has made
its proposal remote in its flexibility and lack of  responsiveness),

This is your personal opinion, even as you've voted in support of the CAUT
Endorsement.  The proposal came out of extensive board participation and
received official board support last year, along with bylaws committee
support  through an amendment at council.  Enormous board and bylaws time went
into  this, and Council asked to see it again this year.  Any proposal is a
compromise, and clearly there are elements which you don't like, but which you
 voted for and sometimes enthusiastically argued for in open board
meetings.  I'd love to see your votes reflected by your advocacy for this  proposal.

the bylaws committee's active opposition (oddly enough the same  committee
that worked long and hard to help after cautcom's proposal's  late arrival
last year and help with editing this year's, a frustrating  experience)

Yes, the bylaws committee co-chair has acknowledged that new bylaws
committee members didn't understand the proposal and opposed it, but all too  late
for any extensive dialogue with the CAUT Committee;  it also began to  be
clear that the new PTG leadership was not going to actively support the
proposal, and indeed, it DID oppose it formally (but without any such
sstatement to the CAUT Committee of its changed position before the bylaws
deadline);  the CAUT Committee is in the difficult position of honoring  Council's
request to present a proposal which addresses the concerns of Council,  while
having had the active support of the board disappear as the result of a
change of leadership and committee membership.

and a general lack of interest among CAUTs (you don't say mean to say  that
even your own group is not supportive of this particular proposal?)."

"Your own group" is yours too, and yes, CAUT techs are as busy as anyone in
 the trade, and not always interested in the "politics" of the PTG.

Perhaps add to that a negative reaction from most RPTs in being asked  to
support a proposal that gives ubertechnician status to RPT plus-ers that
acquire the added credential.

So it's better to add a credential that does not require RPT knowledge and
skills, instead of continuing to promote the RPT?   Non-RPTs  who are
qualified will have no trouble passing the RPT tests.  Why dilute  the RPT
message?  I still don't get it.  YES, we should expect the  CAUT to have broader
knowledge and skills than the RPT, who has a great set of  skills for field
tuning and repair.  As I understand it, the current bylaws  committee agrees
with the position you've just stated, and from what I  glean from
correspondence and their published comments, this is the compelling  reason that
bylaws opposes the proposal.  This has absolutely  nothing to do with bylaws and
everything to do with politics, specifically the  need to maintain the old
order and keep a level playing field in the PTG.   This risks returning to
the defective principle of the old PTG in which  objective skills is trumped
by the good-ol' boy system.....When you have a  specialization such as CAUT
which is enhanced by a specialized knowledge and  skills, there's every
reason to develop an endorsement (certification) which  tests for this.  By NOT
doing this, we dilute the RPT and promote  non-objective standards in the
specialized CAUT market.

I've written a lengthy piece for the PTG-L list advocating for using  the
RPT brand for all comprehensive piano service areas - even rebuilding.   The
argument for this is to maintain the common shared professional community,
while retaining a single marketable logo and profession - the RPT.  It
acknowledges that until now the PTG is an organization for field service
technicians, with all others - whether RPT CAUTs or Associate Member rebuilders,
etc., - are outsider.  This is our community, and it's best we can reflect
on this, acknowledge it, and discuss whether we want to keep it that way, or
 find a new path that keeps the best of the past, while embracing the
diversity  of modern piano service trades.

Did I leave anyone out? The rest of the world? So everyone is against
CAUTCOM and there is nothing wrong with the CAUT proposal in its current form?
What's wrong with this picture Bill? Physician heal  thyself.

I was encouraged by CAUT delegate participation in council last year.   It
was a quality contribution.  It's been very quiet until now here on the
CAUT list on the subject.  The CAUT Committee hasn't had a good handle  on how
to respond to the board/bylaws committee withdrawal of  support.  I think
we're all incredibly busy - life's priorities rear  their ugly head
(celebrating Mother's Day, for example), and I also think it's  possible that
university techs get their fair share of politics already, on the  job.....it's hard
work, and not always tasteful....And the PTG-L list would  benefit from
more CAUTs willing to join it and discuss this issue, too.

And I do appreciate the vote of both you and our IPP Dale Probst;   the
midyear board minutes show that this year's board voted against  the CAUT
Endorsement with those two exceptions.

The board and bylaws votes are an odd response to Council's request to
have another serious look at it this year.  This, combined with a board RFA  at
midyear to end all membership proposals - and some support in bylaws
committee for that idea - is evidence that PTG leadership is pulling in all
sorts of directions.

And then a positive effort to improve effective institutional piano
maintenance through debate and hard work may beign to make more sense to all
concerned.

Now is as good as later.  Council has a chance to weigh in on a  proposal
that you voted for two years in a row, and it liked enough to look at  again
this year (after voting AGAINST a motion to table, which would have
effectively killed it).  And my RVP, Larry Messerly, who is also the CAUT
Committee liaison this year, has asked the CAUT Committee to move forward with a
serious presentation at council supporting the CAUT Endorsement.  Is this
because the board wants to kill it completely in council, or because if council
 votes in favor of the proposal, the board would be happy to work to
support and  implement it?  Both?  The final arbiter is council, and this is an
example of where I the board might be looking to council for direction.  A
proposal is usually DOA if it doesn't receive board and bylaws support, and
one  could understand the CAUT Committee withdrawing it based on this year's
developments.  But this hasn't happened because the CAUT Committee at this
time wishes to honor council's request to consider it again this year -
and also possibly because the board still wants to keep it on the  agenda.
At this point council will have the final word, and  this CAUT list
discussion can help move the debate forward, along with the PTG-L  list discussion.

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
CAUT Committee Member