[CAUT] Capstan relocation questions

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun May 9 20:34:13 MDT 2010

On May 9, 2010, at 9:14 AM, David Love wrote:

> While making the ratio between sharps and naturals equal
> makes sense on one hand, a varying action ratio between the two within
> reason probably goes unnoticed.  What pianists notice is
> predictability.  If
> the key(s) respond as they expect the will before they play the note
> they
> will be happy assuming things are set up within reasonable
> specifications.
> If they have no was to assess what to expect in anticipation of
> playing a
> note or group of notes, they will be unhappy.

	I think these observations are right on the money. There is only so
much time and energy available for refinement of actions, and I think
that creating two separate capstan lines for naturals and sharps falls
into the realm of well meaning but wasted effort. David Love's
observations about the varying leverage ratios depending on where the
finger contacts the keys make this doubly true.  The magnitude of the
difference is small compared with the variability of contact point,
not to mention the difference of muscular dynamics in pressing down a
sharp 1/2" higher. It will always feel somewhat different whatever we
do, and that is simply something the pianist must contend with.
Amazingly, the neurons and muscles manage to adapt quite well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm