[CAUT] Capstan relocation questions

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Mon May 10 06:27:11 MDT 2010

I agree with David's notion of predictability
AND
 because the attack, in fact the entire technique of playing, on the black
keys is different than on the white keys they could feel more equal to the
player if the ratios are different. If you accept this difference in
technical approach to playing black and white keys then the ratios should be
different out of necessity. Usually you will find that in pianos that have
been manufactured with this in mind the black keys will have a higher ratio.
This also helps with keeping them from burying. Equal ratios may appeal to
an engineer's sense of uniformity but could have little to do with the
realities of playing the piano. I have contrived both and knowingly played
on both and I lean toward the higher ratio for the black keys as being
superior. So maybe it's a good thing.
Chris Solliday