[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon May 10 08:16:30 MDT 2010

Some people seem to argue that because PTG is not a "union" then it can not
and should not get involved with promoting the causes or visibility of it's
dues paying members.  It think it's about time we find out what the majority
really believes.   I can't think of a single other professional organization
that would even try to defend not making recommendations on behalf of these
and other causes that concern it's members.  Unions actually have some
political leverage to enforce their recommendations. We work in a different
climate, which is a good thing.   However, people do look toward the PTG for
action in areas where we can make a difference.  Apparently some here would
like discussion on this list limited only to CAUT technical issues, and I
respect that.  However, may I also suggest that for that this short period
leading up to our National Convention and Council Meetings that some
discussion of these questions related to CAUT that involve and effect us in
one way or another might be very appropriate at this time.  These are
important questions and it is our interest to get involved, if only for a
short time.

As one of the most naturally non-politically involved members, I suggest
there comes a time when we must speak up for ourselves if you desire change.
In not, lucky for you.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson