[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Mon May 10 12:21:26 MDT 2010

Getting in on this a bit late but...

Summer of 2008 I restrung a SS M and a SS B with Pure Sound.

Initially, both pianos turned out great ( they both got new Able hammers as well), but the following winter both started of break strings like crazy.

All breakage was invariably at the tuning pin, just as the wire left the bottom of the coil.

I restrung the top two sections of the B the following spring and the M (the entire treble scale) later that summer.

I too was experimenting to find out for myself the merits of this wire, hoping for improved tone and the rust/corrosion thing.

I was impressed with the lightning fast stability of the stuff, but the constant string breakage I just couldn't live with. (Yes, I did try all the tricks...lowering the pitch slightly before pulling up, etc. Didn't help.)

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University
Huntington, WV